Friday, October 3, 2008

My First Marathon

Meg and me the morning of the marathon, feeling good and ready! Woo hoo
Mile 17 still feeling pretty good. I ran the first 8 and then ran/walked the next 5 but by mile 14 my knees were killing me so I had to walk the rest. Jared and Jack met me along the way and encouraged me to keep going. The Poulsen's and my family were also there to keep me going.
Finally finishing the race. There was a guy the last block that said "it's not much further... come on just run you can do it... come on" I wanted to punch him in the face because I could barely bend my knees (pain, lots of pain)
And, here are my poor toes two weeks after the marathon. No they are not painted, that is bruising on my big toes
So I am happy that I did the marathon. My goal was to finish and I did it but I was mad about my time so I think if my knees allow me to... I am going to do one more next year. I know, Crazy!

15 comments:

Katy said...

Wow!!!! Way to go girls!!! You are amazing... I wish, OH HOW I WISH, I could sustain a run longer than, oh a half mile!! Great job! You look AWESOME!

Jill, Wes, and Andy said...

Way to go! You rock

angie said...

Pain! Sorry about the knees. Hopefully you can figure out what is wrong with them. Looks like you guys have had a lot of fun. Too bad we couldn't add Sundance to the list this weekend :(

Michelle said...

Amazing... I am so impressed and motivated.. Ok, no marathons but I'm going to start with a 10 K next year and then maybe a half marathon. We'll see. Looks like you guys have been having a lot of fun..I'm missing seeing Jackson growing up. He's a fun, cute little guy!

Allison said...

That is awesome! Maybe someday I will be as motivated as you!!

mamasuisse said...

Wow! Congratulations on finishing. That's a major accomplishment. But your poor feet and knees. How long was it before you could walk fairly normally?

Kali said...

basically, you amaze me.

The Murdocks said...

Ouch your toenails look so painful.

BriANDaleen said...

You are crazy, but good for you! Just thinking about that makes my knees hurt...which is why I don't run anymore..I'm too old!

Scott and Kristy said...

wow your toenails look like they hurt,but what a cool thing you did to hurt them, hope they get better soon and your knees.

Cindy said...

WOW Susan!!!
I am so impressed! What an awesome thing to accomplish. Sorry about the pain and the toes... ouch! Good luck next time... it will be like having a baby... you will forget about the pain, then you will be tempted to do another run.
Maybe!
Cindy

holly said...

Okay, you really are amazing for just finishing. And you look awesome!

Melissa said...

You are so skinny! GRRRR. I want to be skinny, but I like to eat too much! Any tips? Oh and I can't run, hurts my old fogie knees...

Amy F. said...

Way to go girl!!! That is something to be proud of. (I'm barely shooting for a 1/2 marathon in January, so its good to know what to expect ;)
That is still an amazing accomplishment! I hope those knees get better fast.

Mandy Snyder said...

COngrats on your first marathon! Such a great accomplishment to set the goal and see it achieved. Very inspiring except for the painful knees and black and blue toes.